My daughter has been saying “Apple pie” all week. I have no idea why, she just has. So tonight I decided I would make pocket pies with her. A pocket pie is like a turnover, but with a basic pie crust and pie filling. You can make shapes using cookie cutters or even pocket pie cutters. A super simple dessert that’s fun to make!
- 2 Refrigerated ready-to-roll Pie Crusts
- Pie filling of your choice
- Pre-heat oven according to pie crust directions. I used Hannaford pie crusts which bake at 425 degrees
- Take pie crusts out of the fridge and let sit for 15 minutes so that they are easy to unroll
- Roll out pie crusts
- Cut the shapes out of the pie crust using cookie cutters or pocket pie cutters. Remember you need to cut outs for each pocket pie
- Put a spoonful of filling on one cut out and then top with another cut out. Using the tines of a fork push down on the edges of the pie crust to close the pocket. Once you’ve gone around the entire shape and the pocket is completely closed, cut 2 or 3 slits in the top of the pocket to vent
- Put in the oven and bake until golden brown – about 10 – 15 minutes.
Serving suggestion: Serve warm pocket pies with a small scoop of your favorite ice cream.